Quick Check For Salicylates
It's really easy to check your products - just use this guide and you can't go wrong. You will be an expert in no time!
1. Gather up everything you take as a medication including prescriptions, over the counter medications, vitamins, supplements and any product you apply to your skin.
2. Look at the list of ingredients on each product - below are listed things you CANNOT use or consume. If you don't see one of these on the label, the product is o.k. to use:
- NO: SALICYLATE, SALICYLIC ACID
- NO: CHEMICALS with the SYLLABLE: SAL-, CAMPH-, OR MENTH-
- NO: OILS, GELS or EXTRACTS with a PLANT NAME (except Corn, Rice, Oats, Wheat, or Soy which you CAN use)
- NO: BALSAM or BISABOL
- DO NOT DRINK TEA
- NO: OCTISALATE, HOMOSALATE, MEXORYL, or MERADIMATE
- AVOID: BIOFLAVINOIDS, QUERCETIN, HESPERIDEN, or RUTIN
- AVOID: vitamins with PLANTS MEASURED IN MILLIGRAMS (MG)
- NO: MINT of any kind (WINTERGREEN, SPEARMINT, PEPPERMINT, ETC.)
- NO: MENTHOL, CAMPHOR, or SALICYLATE
Please take into account the following information for your medications and skin products:
- If ingredients are NOT listed on the product - don't use the product.
- The cosmetic industry is not required to list ingredients. Don't use the product unless ingredients are listed.
- If active ingredients are listed, look for inactive ingredients. Don't use the product if inactive ingredients are not listed.
- Products with fluoride in them are not required to list ingredients.
- Only ONE salicylate in the ingredient list will disqualify the use of the product.
- Going to a dollar store, you will find many safe products. As soon as companies put a plant in the ingredients, the price goes up.